I want to make a very basic guide about how to make a website. Because many people (I have some friends also) who want to have a website or blog on the internet. They want to know how to make a website for their small business. There are also people who want to just have an online diary and want to share their experiences. Either because of ignorance or lack of information about how to start, eventually, they only have a wishful thinking on their head.
Maybe for you who already have much experience in the online world will laugh. But it is real. You will often see this, especially in developing countries. There are a lot of people who don’t know how to make a site. Even more sadly, they don’t know what the internet is. It’s ironic.
I made a simple guide to what it takes to make a site. This guide is very basic, so I tried to say it with the simplest language.
Actually, if we want to make a web-site (it’s paid and not free), there are three things we have to prepare. What are they? Here they are:
- Domain name
You must have a domain name to be able to make a site. Domain name is your address on the internet. People who want to meet your website need to know your domain name. (E.g. www.beginnerstip.com (it’s mine), www.google.com, www.yahoo.com). Have you already understand what domain name is. Then how do I get a domain name? You can obtain and register your domain name at websites that provide domain names registering services. Usually, the website hosting providers also provide such services. The most commonly used by online people to get a domain name is godaddy.com. You can get a new domain name at a price of about US$ 8-10 / year here. GoDaddy also provides old domain names, of course, the price will be higher.
- Website designYou can choose the following below for website design:
- Using a CMS script. You can search and get a lot of CMS scripts for designing websites on the internet. Joomla, Magento, WordPress, Blogger, ModX, Concrete5 and much more. The selection of the CMS script must be tailored to your needs. You will make a site on what kind of platform. For example, if you will just create a blog, you can use WordPress or Blogger. (I recommend WordPress for more optimal results and it is easier to modify). If you want to a website that has forum platform, then vbulletin is the solution.
- Using website design software. We don’t need to struggle with complicated HTML code or PHP to make website currently. By utilizing WYSIWYG software, you can make a website easily. E.g. Adobe Dreamweaver, Microsoft Frontpage, and many others. (I usually use Adobe Dreamweaver). There are also free ones that you can use. This software also provides templates that can be used to make websites. For a complete beginner, I do not recommend using this second step. Because although it was easier, it still needs the coding knowledge.
- The easiest way, but will also be spent additional costs is to hire someone to make a website for you. This method has the lowest risk and the results will also be quite nice. Make sure you hire the right people and really professional. You can use fiverr.com or justafive.com for this business. With only 5 dollars you already had a pretty good website. (I suggest you research for these people first and make any contact with them)
- Web Hosting Provider Since everything has been fulfilled; the third step is to find a web hosting provider. Web hosting providers will provide the server space used to store your website scripts. Web hosting provider usually has three services, namely shared hosting, VPS hosting and Dedicated servers.For beginners, you can use a shared hosting package first. This package is the cheapest of the three packages above. The price usually ranges between US$ 4 – 12 / month, depending on which package you take. You should do some research first to determine which web hosting provider you will use. Do not just be tempted to have the cheapest prices, although the cheapest web hosting sometimes has a great service also. Payments are usually done online (PayPal) or bank wired as well as through credit cards.
If you have registered, you will be assigned a username account and password to log in to c-panel dashboard via the email address you used to register. (Check your email SPAM folder, sometimes the email from the web hosting provider can go in there).
You can log in and upload your script now. You can use FTP Uploader (Filezilla, CuteFTP) for this purpose.
When you register your domain names in different places with your web hosting provider, then you must set the DNS address in accordance with that provided by the web hosting provider. When you register at the same place, then the DNS address is automatically set up.
For the new domain name, address is usually waiting for the propagation process (24-72 hours) to be used normally. Although usually not that long, even sometimes not until 10 minutes has been completed.
Ok. It’s easy to make websites, isn’t? If you are finished following the three steps above, then you have to make website or blog at your first time. The second is how to promote your website to get popular and get more traffic.